Looking for a recipe...search here

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Mani Puttu

Kerala culinary is so intertwined with the use of coconut in its cooking. This palaharam (snack) is so rich with coconut, were rice flour and coconut compliments each other to make a delicious and a filling snack.

Ingredients

2 cups- lightly roasted rice flour
1 cup – finely grated fresh coconut
1 and ¾ cup – Water
¾ tsp – Salt
1.5 to 2 cup – Thick coconut milk
Sugar to taste

Method

1 ) Combine grated coconut, water and salt in an utensil. Place on stove and just bring to a boil. Turn off the stove.

2 ) Add rice flour to a mixing bowl, pour the hot water mixture slowly on the rice flour and stir well with a spoon to make a dough. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes. Then knead the dough. To test if the dough is ready to make small balls out of it. Take a little dough and roll on the palm and if it rolls out well without sticking, dough is ready to be rolled to small balls. Otherwise if it is sticky add little more rice flour, to get the desired proportion.

3 ) Take little dough at a time and make small balls out of it. You can make elongated shape too. Place the shaped dough in a plate. You can pile up dough balls on one another. It will not stick.

4 ) Use a steamer to steam or a pressure cooker. In a pressure cooker place the plate and steam without the placing the weight. Steam for 15 to 20 minutes.

5 ) Meanwhile keep coconut milk ready, sweetened with sugar. Take the steamed dumplings out and immediately immerse in coconut milk. Keep soaked for 15 minutes.


Serve mani puttu along with coconut milk.

29 comments:

FH said...

Mmmm..!!! Looks good and i can smell the aroma. Great looking Palaharam, Pravs! :))

Anonymous said...

Hi da ..
Really nice to see the mani puttu ..njan curryworld il ittittund ...adipoli kettoo.....njan kure nal aayi undakkiyttu...eppol kanttu kazhikkan thonnunnu ..!!! kollaam...
love
veena

Anonymous said...

My God Pravs,simply adorable..feel like a kid..wonderful ..plz send some..yummy yummy..drools

Finla said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh I want to have them.
Mom made them a lot especially when we were back from schoool.
I am drooling here just thinking about it.

notyet100 said...

wow nice click,...;-)

Mallika said...

They look amazing! Happy New Year.

Priya Suresh said...

I would like to have them ...lovely click..makes me hungry..

Mrs.Kannan said...

We used to call this PalPaniyaram..Looks great.Pics are perfect

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

thanks for visiting my blog Pravs.
Mani puttu is new to me and looks delicious.. like rosgullas :)

Joie de vivre said...

Oh wow. I have never tried anything like this before!

Pecos Blue said...

Looks yummy.

Pecos Blue said...

I just got a pressure cooker and I am looking for indian recipes to make with it. I think this would be a great cookbook idea because there are many recipes for western traditional but not many for making indian or asian recipes that I have found and I would love it.

Can't wait to hear your ideas.

Erin

neroli said...

Oh dear Pravs, that looks and sounds *so* *tasty*!
Happy New Year to you!

Pravs said...

Pecos : i have used pressure cooker in so many of my recipes. Pressure cooking saves time and some ingredients needs pressure cooking. This recipe i have used pressure cooker for steaming without using the weight.

Pravs said...

Thanks every one for coming by and for the comments :)
Mallika and neroli, A very happy new year to you too :)

Trupti said...

wow mani puttu looks very delicious & mouth watering..nice photo

Divz said...

cute name and a cute looking dish!!
happy new year

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! Looks a bit like rasgulla,doesnt it? Yummy!

Raks said...

Wow Looks so good! I think with coconut milk it should taste heaven!

Usha said...

Hi Pravs,

I am a Bangalorean girl newly married to a palakkad iyer family. I had no idea of kerala cuisine, until I landed up here. Your blog was and is of great help for making my husband happy. Thanks a lot...

Is there anything that I can replace garlic with?? My inlaws family dont like garlic.

Thanks a lot and Happy New year

Usha Arun

Pravs said...

Usha :It's very reassuring to know you are able to please your husband with my recipes :) Thanks a lot for letting me know.

Which recipe are you refering to,to replace garlic ?

A very happy new year to you.

Shah cooks said...

a nice sweet way to welcome the new year. I am recent fan of this but love it.

Madhavi said...

Lovely dish and looks mouthwatering yummmm!!!!

Unknown said...

this is thengai paal kollukaatai na..looks so yummy...so temptg..

Anonymous said...

Pravs dear,
Plz accept my appreciation from here : http://thepassionatecookinme.blogspot.com/
thanks

Jamie said...

Pravs, those look great! Looking forward to going through your posts to see what I have missed. Happy Belated New Years!

Shreya said...

the dish looks so yum, and coconut milk is so yum! Mani puttu is somethign I have never made, but will try...

Anonymous said...

Hello.. Do you know how to Add Adsense Code Inside Single Post Only in XML Template? Visit your blog to learn how.. Have a nice thursday!

Sig said...

hey Pravs, I've never heard of this one before! It looks soo good, and I can totally imagine the taste. Hope you are doing well.