Looking for a recipe...search here

Monday, October 22, 2007

Aval Upma

A quick and easy upma to make, if you have the ingredients ready. I love to have this upma with boiled eggs, seasoned with pepper and salt on the side. Sometimes i mix scrambled egg with the upma in the end. On it's own, it's a tasty upma. Aval is the malayalam name for poha / rice flakes.

Ingredients

2 cups - Beaten rice / Aval / Poha / Rice flakes
1 cup - Water
5 big - Shallots, chopped
4 to 6 - Green chili, chopped
1/4 cup - Freshly grated coconut
Salt to taste

Seasoning

1 tsp - Mustard seeds
1 tsp - Urad dal
2 Sprigs - Curry leaves
Coconut or sesame oil

Method

1 ) First moisten beaten rice. For this, add salt to taste to one cup of water and stir. Now sprinkle water on the beaten rice little by little and moisten beaten rice well. Beaten rice will soak up the water little by little. Use up one cup water to moisten beaten rice and keep it ready.

2 ) Heat oil in a swallow pan, add mustard seeds and pop mustard. Then add urad dal, curry leaves, stir for a minute. Add shallots and chili and fry to a light brown color. Simmer heat to a low and add moisten beaten rice mix with seasoned ingredients. Add grated coconut, cover with a tight lid and cook for 5 minutes on very low heat. Turn off the stove, open the lid only after 5 minutes. Stir and mix.


Serve hot. Makes a great breakfast.

Note : Aval will lose moisteness and become dry if you have this after 2 - 3 hours of cooking. Best when still warm. If dry, you can sprinkle some water and microwave.

27 comments:

Anh said...

i have never heard of beaten rice... is the texture very different from the normal rice variety?

Your food looks really lovely!

Prajusha said...

pravi,
aval upma looks yummy yummy.next time i have to try upma & boiled eggs combo:).

Anonymous said...

Hi Simply Spicy, this looks great. Can you explain a little more about beaten rice? What is it and what should I look for in my local Indian shop?

VegeYum

FH said...

OOH!! Never had Eggs with upma! Great idea and looks delicious!:))

Finla said...

Back when i was still living at home my mom made alwaus aval with jaggerry and coconut.
This looks really good.

Swaruchy said...

Hi pravs...I love this Upma and ur platter looks so yumm and delicious......slurp....

Pravs said...

Hi Anh & Vegeyum : To say more about beaten rice...It's called beaten rice or poha or rice flakes.It's a instant Rice that has been cooked, pressed and dried.
Vegeyum, when shopping,look for poha.There is thin and thick variety. Thick one is good for this preparation.I hope this helps you out Vegeyum.

Prajusha : Thanks..oh yeah..do try with eggs :)

Asha : Thanks :) I used to not like upma's and mom used to make egg to eat along with upma. That worked to make me eat upma :)

Happycook : Yeah ..that is delicious. I have blogged that recipe long back. Try this savoury aval too :)

Sirisha : Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

thanks for reminding me of this beautiful simple dish. i dont know why i get afflicted by the "what to cook" syndrome when we have so many awesome dishes in our cuisine.

sunita said...

The upma looks lovely. I love to have eggs, scrambled, like you said, with upma too.

Mishmash ! said...

adding some potatoes and peanuts to this is also tasty...i first had it from a marathi friends house and liked a lot :)

Shn

Pravs said...

Lakshmi : True,it happens to me too.

Sunita : The egg upma combo is so very good :)

Mishmash : Without potato and peanut, its equally good. Have to try with potato and peanut..the marathi way :)

Tee said...

This looks so invitng! And what a unique combo! :)
I just posted a sweet version for Aval :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Pravs, thanks for the clarification. I actually know poha and can get it at the local Indian shop. It comes in thin, med and thick I think. Usually I use thin, but your dish looks different. Maybe you use thick?

I use it to make a dish with potatoes but no nuts. it is Y U M.

VegeYum

Mallika said...

Pravs, this looks delicious. Tell me, is beaten rice chirva? I used to eat something very similar at home in Kolkata if so...

Pravs said...

Mallika: I just googled and to my understanding, chirva is flakes of flattend rice.It's known in different places with different names.I hope this helps :)

Richa said...

poha is one of my fav quick to make dishes, urs is a new version to me. looks yum :)

Menu Today said...

Hi Pravi,
Beautiful presentation of Aval Upma!!!

Anonymous said...

The poha upma or just the poha for the maharashtrians, looks nice and the pic is very inviting

Siri said...

Lovely pretext for me to have more eggs.. (Eggs with Upma).. Ooo lala..:D

Rina said...

This is one cool upma. I like dry upmas. Thx for the recipe

zlamushka said...

Love pohe. Always turns out so crispy, aaah. I like the dish. I wish I could get one around here.

Seena said...

prave,
haven't tried this yet, would take aval only with coconuts and jaggery..will try this..

Kribha said...

Sure looks great. Never tried it before. The combo with boiled eggs sounds good too.

Simmy said...

hi Chechu,

Tried your aval upma..it came out very well.n it was so easy to make to..its v lite on ur stomach too..it reminds me of how mom used to make it for us for snack when we got back from school...thnks for posting this recipe...

Pravs said...

Simmy : Happy to see your feedback :D

Anonymous said...

my mom always made aval upma for me when i was little!!! she made it with yogurt tho, do u know how to do that??? :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah the aval upma will taste very good and it is very good for the health.

You can add potatoes in the upma. You can cut the potatoes into small pieces after peeling out the skin and after spluttering the mustard u can add these and add little water to boil and then add the aval.