Looking for a recipe...search here

Monday, September 03, 2007

Chemmeen Masala

Prawns masala, with less gravy and a nadan touch. I tried the curry with some appam and it went so well with it. It's spiced up with green chilies and other masala powders.

Ingredients

2 lb - Prawns, de-shell & de-vein
2 tbsp - Coriander powder
1 to 2 tsp - Red chili powder
1/2 tsp - Turmeric powder
2 to 3 pinches - Hing powder
6 to 8 - Green chilies, slit in center
1 inch piece - Ginger, grated
4 big flakes - Garlic, grated
4 big - Shallots, chopped
1/4 cup - Coconut, cut into small bits
2 sprigs - Curry leaves
2 - Kodampuli, clean
1 cup - Thick coconut milk

Method

1 ) Heat oil in a kadai, add curry leaves and coconut bits. Then add green chili, ginger, garlic and shallots. Stir and fry for a minute. Meanwhile in 1/2 cup water, cook kodampuli for a minute in the microwave.

2 ) Now add all the powder one by one. Stir, fry and cook the masala for minute. Then add the cleaned prawns, stir and mix well with the masala. Pour in the kodampuli with water and cook the prawns till half done.

3 ) Pour in the coconut milk and cook the prawns till the gravy thickens up and the prawns is fully cooked.

Serve with rice, chapati or appam.

11 comments:

amna said...

wow! chemmen! kothi akunnu.. havent tried chemmen with kodam puli.. kollam!!

Finla said...

I love this dish.
My mom always makes them. And i used to pick all the coconut from the dish mmmmmmmmmm delicious.
A very kerale recipe

Seena said...

Hammo!
it is shocking..evidem avidem chemmeen..nalla porutham..(nalla recipe..loved it)

Prajusha said...

pravs,
chemeen looks mouthwatering.Adipoli pic.

Kribha said...

I liked the name "chemmeen" so much. Beautiful picture. I do it pretty much the same way, except that I have not used kodam pulli. Wish I could get it and try it. Looks so mouthwatering.

Pooja V said...

I am totally in love with prawns recipe. I have eaten this at a mallu feinds place and glad tht i found the recipe. thanks for this recipe.

Anh said...

Yummmm! I love your blog! :D

Shella said...

I can both kill n die for chemmeen. I guess I inherited it from my Dad, who is an equally enthu chemeen fan.

The dish looks divine. Vaayenu vellam varunu.

Sig said...

oh u always make me drool pravs... that looks sooo good... hey, I love your ingredient index, I should make one too... or I could simply link to yours ;)

Shella said...

Thanks Pravs for dropping by. You have a wonderful blog n excellent recipes. Keep up the good work. I am linking your blog to mine.

Lissie said...

ur chemmen masala looks delicious! chemmeen is one of my favourites. never tried appam and chemmeen. good combination i guess!