Looking for a recipe...search here

Monday, November 27, 2006

Meen Curry - Fish Curry With Coconut

Sea food is everyday food in my house. As a curry, fried or in thoran/Upperi form. Also as cutlets for snacks. Kerala being a coastal region, is rich in seafood. This makes seafood a part of everyday food in the malayali kitchen.
Fish is a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential fatty acids and is not manufactured by the human body. Here is a spicy fish curry preparation with coconut to try.

Ingredients

500 gm - Fish,cut into small pieces.
2 - Green chili, slit in center
1 inch piece -Ginger
2 - Big shallots
1 lime size - Tamarind
2 tbsp - Coconut oil
Salt to taste

To grind to paste

1 cup - Grated coconut
2 tsp - Red chili powder/Cayenne powder or Kashmiri Chili Powder
1/2 tsp - Turmeric powder

Seasoning

1 tsp - Mustard seeds
10 - curry leaves

Preparation before cooking

1 ) Extract tamarind juice from tamarind. Immerse tamarind in lukewarm water and squeeze to extract juice. Make about 1 to 1.5 cup.
2 ) Grind ingredients listed to be ground and set a side.
3 ) Dice shallots, cut ginger into small pieces and slit green chili in center.

Method

1 ) In a pot add coconut oil, add mustard and curry leaves. Then add the cut and diced ingredients.

2 ) Add tamarind juice and the ground paste. Stir and mix well.
3 ) Add fish and salt as required. Cook to a boil.
4 ) Simmer and cook for 5 minutes and take off the stove.


Serve with rice.

This is a kerala fish curry preparation. Fish curry is prepared in different ways with different spices.


Tip
To reduce spice level use kashmiri chili powder instead of cayenne powder.

4 comments:

Prakash Gopan V said...

Valare nannaayittundu...
Made this for four... I finished 3 for myself... that too, in a single sitting.
Keemaayittundu'tto

Now, you may try sesame oil for a slight difference in flavor...
May be some Panch Puran would pep up the fragrance...

Unknown said...

fantastic,Excellent!!!!We all enjoyed the taste

Anonymous said...

Can you have a separate section in your blog for general comments on your blog. I have chosen a recipe randomly to add my comments about your site. I am a big fan of your site. I love the way you present each recipe, the font style, the vertical way of presentation, the photos of each post, the friendly language. Your blog is so simple, attractive and to the point. The variety of recipes is just so different. The photos are that which makes me want to try out your recipes. To my every comments, you have responded. I always look forward to your new posts. So far I have tried the paal payasam, egg vindaaloo, fish fry, chicken curry, beef pickle and tea cake in the same way you have mentioned and they all were just brilliant. I usually like to watch cooking videos as they inspire me to cook. But I am just as amazed as I wonder how much I like this site . You are the best!! and a malayalee too.. :))
I can just go on and on because I love all the recipes here, yes.. all of them. Thanks!

Pravs said...

Anonymous : Many thanks for letting me know how you feel about my blog and the recipes you have tried. You are very kind and i can;t say how much i appreciate this comment. If only you had left your name. To make a separate section for general comments, i will see what i can do. Many thanks again and look forward to your feedback to the recipes you have tried.